April 01, 2015

Recommendations

Totally Awesome Five Star Reads

 
I've only started really recording books I've read for about three years now. I've discovered that people forget a lot of what they read. I swear to god, I've started the same book so many times, thinking that I discovered real gem, only to figure out that I've read it already. I mean, it's no skin off my nose, but for those truly awesome gems in the dust, I like to polish them off and put them on a shelf, and make sure others know about them too!
Please note: there are a lot of Kristen Ashley books on this list. This is because my New Years Resolution was to read all of her books... and nearly all of them were five star reads!
 
I start with Alex Rider by Anthony Horowitz
I'll start by warning you that this one is a YA spy novel. Essentially this kid, Alex Rider (I want a totally badass name like his!) gets caught up in his uncles business after his uncle died. It's typical, totally cliché "I didn't know him at all when he was alive" crisis. Difference is, Alex is fourteen, his parents are dead, and besides his uncles (who is recently deceases), the only person he has is his nanny of sorts. Naturally, Alex gets curious. Soon, he's recruited by MI6, and taken on missions, proving to be not only the youngest, but one of the most capable spies out there. I first read this book when I was twelve or so, and have read it many times since then. Many, many times. Never gets old. I am ashamed to say that I read this series even more in my fourteen-fifteen years, hoping I would be recruited by MI6. Alas, here I am. NOT a superspy.
 

Angelfall by Courtney Ee

The post-apocalyptic tropes are plenty in number, and also in originality. However, the post-apocalyptic Angel stories are fewer, and in most cases, unsuccessful. However, I actually happened upon this little gem in some BookBub deals, and it was one of the best finds I found. I've only read it once, but it is certainly worth a reread. Part sci-fi, part paranormal, part romance (just the build-up, sizzling desire type), Survival/adventure, and YA that doesn't read like any YA I've read. A mature story with mature and a truly admirable MC.
We follow our MC, Penryn, six weeks after the "angels of the apocalypse" destroyed the world as it was known, and only pockets of humanity remained. Savage street gangs rule the day, while fear and superstition the night. When a group of angels fly away with Penryn's helpless seventeen-year-old sister, Penryn will do anything to get her back, even partner up with a hot angel, Raffe.

 

Bayou Moon by Ilona Andrews

Cerise Mar and her family are the rats of the Edge, a border between the Broken (where magic is a fairytale) and the Weird, where blueblood aristocrats rule and the strength of magic can change your destiny. However, the Mars are rivals with another family in the Edge, and when her parents vanish, her families long-time rivals are suspect numero uno. But all is not as it seems. The two nations of the Weird are waging a cold war fought by feint and espionage. These two issues clash in a meet between changeling soldier, William, and fighter Cerise.
This book was a classic Ilona Andrews novel, and was very entertaining. I especially enjoyed how strong Cerise was, fighter and leader of her clan, and it was very stimulating to read, once again, my favorite kind of character, the strong, resilient and persevering female MC.  
 

Now with Kristen Ashley books!

  1. For You (The 'Burg)
  2. Knight (Unfinished Heroes)
  3. Mystery Man (Dream Man)
  4. Own the Wind (Chaos)
  5. Penmort Castle (Ghosts and Reincarnation)
  6. Play it Safe
  7. Rock Chick (Rock Chick)
  8. The Gamble (Colorado Mountains)
  9. Until the Sun Falls from the Sky (The Three)
  10. The Will (Magdalene)
  11. Three Wishes
All of the above are the first books in the series of more truly phenomenal Kristen Ashley. You won't hear me recommend anymore more than I recommend KA, and she very well may be my most favorite author, and is definitely in my Top Five. Through all of her writing (for I haven't met one yet that hasn't exceeded well beyond my sky-high expectations), I laugh, I sob, I cry, I feel, and I immerse and let myself get drawn into her stories. I can't recommend her highly enough, and I doubt you'll find anyone who will give this artist a better endorsement than I.  
 

The Vampire Academy and Bloodlines series by Richelle Mead

These YA reads were well worth the wait on the Library Waiting List, let me tell you. With a new spin on the long wore out Vampire Trope- indeed, no sparkles in sight- I laughed along with these fun and determined characters, fully immersed in their story. The wait for new books was agony, and I wait with seriously baited breathe to read the final Bloodlines story, The Ruby Circle.
 

Heist Society by Ally Carter

Gosh, it was forever ago that I first picked up this book. I first read this in Junior High. It was put in our mail, don't know how, don't care. Bottom line, glad someone put it there. Though it was way beneath my reading level, it was so enjoyable, I still read it. In the world of conartists and thieves, but dumbed down to simpleton language, how Carter still managed to maintain the air of mystery and mystique is beyond me, but dammit if she didn't.
 

Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews

You may have heard of the writing-duo, Ilona Andrews. Whatever you heard, I guarantee it was good, and guarantee it was right! These two really know how to work a story to their advantage. Does the name Kate Daniels ring any bells? It should. It's the name of our MC here, and the name of the series. One of which has passed many lips and speaks for itself. I can't say anymore, but leave with this, pick up this adult fantasy novel or you will experience a fate worse than dying a virgin, or without cake (Kristen Ashley quote). You will experience a life saddened by never having read Kate Daniels. That's truly sad.
 

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout (also known as J. Lynn)

I first picked up the Lux series at a... rocky time in my life. No, I'm not talking about *shiver* sixth grade *shudder*. I truly connected with the characters in this series, Katy and Daemon, finding Katy was a lot like myself, and Daemon, who completely ruined the chance of ever finding the right guy, because I now have sky-rocketed expectations (you get me if you've ever read a KA man, I'd imagine). For those of you who have picked this up, read the blurb, found it was a book about aliens (who lit up, no doubt), and put it back, get the hell off my site. For those of you who read that there were aliens who lit up, and passed judgment, get off my site. For those of you who have read this book and didn't like it, well that's your opinion and unfortunately I can't correct it, nor can I actually kick you off my site. Actually, that might be something to explore... Bottom line, pick this book up now. Or the Bookaholic will not be responsible for her actions. No, I did not just talk in third person. Because that's creepy. And I would never do that.
 

Partials by Dan Wells

I cringe at my attempt at a pun, like I'm sure you did. However, at eleven o'clock at night, it's not going to be fixed today. Partials surprised me. Another YA post-apocalyptic read, I expected sub-par entertainment. I did not get that. I got so much better than sub-par and so much more than simple entertainment. I got characters I cared about, societies I had to fix and the almost understanding of sciences beyond my knowledge (those of you who have read this, get me). I found totally cliché moments, and used and used and used tropes, that were spun in completely new ways. I got twists and turns and freaking upside down flips. This book took me on a ride that you would be stupid to miss. Don't be stupid. Please.
 

Priceless by Shannon Mayer

This book was kind of surprising to me. Yet another BookBub gem, I expected less than sub-par entertainment, and a DNF (did not finish). My name is Rylee and I am a tracker. When children go missing, and the Humans have no leads, I’m the one they call. I am their last hope in bringing home the lost ones. I salvage what they cannot. That caught my attention, and set the tone for the rest of the novel. It had the action, the swoon, the predictable, the unpredictable, the "holy shits" and the "she's totally badass" to the "I want to be her when I grow up". This book had all the characteristics of a literary train wreck, yet still managed to be fantastic and I have no idea why. It's a miracle, and a priceless one at that.
 

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Awkward name, yes I know. And yes, I spelled it right. I quickly learned how to do so after writing it down so many freaking times for recommendations. Shatter Me was a sci-fi, and I found it consuming. With the world Juliette lived in, Juliette herself and her mind, the loves, etc. I found the "love triangle" a bit fascinating, although don't get scared, you mature readers, for I often shy away from those types too (and insta-love). It was more of a touch-and-go love, and there was never a "who should I choose, who should I choose" stage. Shatter Me was brilliantly written and brilliantly pulled off, and I've read it quite a few times. Those of you who are still unsure, this should help. It sure tricked my curiosity when I first read it since I nearly assaulted the librarian when I saw it was unavailable. Blurb:

I have a curse I have a gift. I am a monster I'm more than human. My touch is lethal My touch is power. I am their weapon I will fight back.
Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color. The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.
Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.


The Tears of Tess by Pepper Winters

This ringing endorsement is going to be very short, because I can't do these books justice. Part of a trilogy "Monsters in the Dark", it is a adult only book. You will not hear me accentuate that part very often, for as a mature reader in junior high and high school I read adult books then, but you will hear me say it now. Sexually, it's intense. Even for me. Psychologically, it's intense. Morally, it's sacrilege. It was, the only way to put it, a complete and total mind-fuck and this series had me reeling for days. That's all I can say, but the whole series was $0.99 on Amazon a few days ago, and still may be if you act quickly enough.  

A Contradiction of Solitude by Meredith A. Walters

Much like the book above this one, this is an adult only book. A Contradiction of Solitude was the first psychological thriller I read, and I have to say, I'm a fan. Another complete mind-fuck read, this not only had me reeling for days, I'm still reeling from it. Though a bit dry, this book totally hit the spot and that afterglow lasted for weeks. I find myself constantly flipping back to this book, just to try and experience it once more. I'm not going to describe it. But I can't recommend it more.

The Dark Light of Day by TM Frazier

The Dark Light of Day is kind of a YA version of A Contradiction of Solitude, above. A loose representation, mind you, as this book is actually an NA (New Adult), but comparatively... you get my point. The two lovers of this story, Jake and Abby, meet in a junkyard, both homeless and find their solace in each others demons. I thoroughly enjoyed this story, though it didn't completely consume me like I know it could have, nor did the writing pull me in as much as it could have, but I was still mesmerized by the story and how it all played out. (Actual rating of this book: 4.5 stars. But lets not judge).

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder

This book, when I first read it, below me away. I was so surprised by the new inventiveness of it, the characters that were very real and never too overdone while still managing at optimal badassery 24/7. There was just enough romance, but it didn't take over the book... not even close. It just added that little spice that it was supposed to. I can't tell you how much I loved this book, nor how many times I've read it. Just know that if my copy was a paperback and not a Kindle copy, pages would be missing from the feverish flipping.

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

No, I didn't have anything to do with that. But I do think it's hilarious. Throne of Glass was a very recent YA read, and I quickly recommended it to everybody I knew. Everybody. Even my brothers who couldn't bother themselves to pick up a book, let alone read one. The author spun this tale with so much inventiveness, uniqueness, mystery, badassery and just that pinch of romance to just make the story. I absolutely loved this book, and can't wait for the fourth book to come out!!


On that note, I think its time for me to take a breath, and realize that my fingers are killing me. I hope I've added at least a few books to your to-read list, god knows my own doesn't need anymore, and can only wish you enjoyed these reads as much as I do. If you have any you would like to add, shoot me a message and I will add your own recommendation to this posting! One can't have too many books waiting to be read!

XOXO,
Kat