April 25, 2015

Confession Number Two

Confession: Names

 

My name is Kat, and I'm a Bookaholic.

I guess it's time I started living up to the name of my blog: Confessions of a Bookaholic. Yeah. Whose idea was this, again? Anyway. I'm going to start by saying I am not Catholic. And, nothing against those of you who are, but confessions are not something I am used to. Like at all. Or honesty, really. Gosh, I guess that's the glory of the anonymous pen name, "Kat".
 
Addiction runs in my family. So it was no surprise when "-aholic" was tacked to the back of something I loved. Everyone has pet peeves when in the real world. Mine is when someone tells me (to do) the same thing over and over; repetition, and condescending peoples, especially those older than I. Most people also have pet peeves when reading. One of mine, is names. They have to be an utterly perfect fit for the character.
 
Have you ever read a book, and simply couldn't connect because of the name? I find this almost happens more with the men than the women, but I imagine that might be different for others.
 
Some names work, some are absolutely perfect, some are kind of sketchy, and some won't fit any character no matter what. Names like Gabriel, Nathaniel, Preston; most especially long prestigious names that never seem to fit with my favorite man; sweet, slightly goofy, with a domineering, possessive, jealous and loving man.
 
However, there are times where I can't help but connect. Gabriel from Rock Hard by Nalini Singh totally worked for me; Nathan from Three Wishes by Kristen Ashley; Preston from Just for Now by Abbi Glines. I know I said all three of those names were names I never thought I could get behind, but it really depends on the book.
For example, Gabriel from Rush by Maya Banks was really hard to connect with on the name level. He was fine as far as the personality level; but anytime she said "Gabriel", I just couldn't connect. Don't even get me started on Christian from Fifty Shades of Grey. "Christian", just doesn't get me as warm and tingly as "Jax", from Stay With Me by Jennifer L. Armentrout/ J Lynn.
 
Some really great names, from really great books include Celaena Sardothian, Aelin and Chaol from Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas; Kate Daniels from, well, Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews; etc. These names really resonate with the characters, their personalities, and their situations on a level that many authors never consider for their characters. They just fit so perfectly well. Kate Daniels may be such a simple name, but with its coagulation with Jack Daniels, and Kate being such a simple, rebellious name made badass by her character... perfection.
 
Does anyone else have this same problem? Or know any other really great or horrible names?
 
I know this isn't really a Confession, more like an opinion; so here's my confession.
 
I can read a really great book, and hate it because of the character names. I'm sure I don't need to mention the perfection that is Harry Potter, but I can say for a fact, that if his name was Jerry Meyer, or Jack Miller, it wouldn't have near the same impact that it would, and I probably would not like the book, which is slightly ridiculous, but it's true.
 
XOXO,
Kat
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment