April 28, 2015

Throne of Glass Review

What did you think...

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

 

 
 
Description: In a land without magic, where the king rules with an iron hand, an assassin is summoned to the castle. She comes not to kill the king, but to win her freedom. If she defeats twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition, she is released from prison to serve as the king's champion. Her name is Celaena Sardothien.

The Crown Prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her. But something evil dwells in the castle of glass--and it's there to kill. When her competitors start dying one by one, Celaena's fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival, and a desperate quest to root out the evil before it destroys her world.
  

If I had to recommend one young adult series/book to a person, hands down I'd (most likely) recommend this book, Throne of Glass.


Main Genre: Urban Fantasy
Published on: May 7th, 2013
Pages: 404
Format: ebook- Kindle
Source: Amazon
My rating: 6 stars
 
Genres:
 
 
 
 
This is my second time reading it, and Throne of Glass still blows me away. The characters, the plotline, the writing... it's all amazing.
 
Celaena Sardothien is an assassin, known as Adarlan's Assassin, the most notorious assassin around (who is but a seventeen year old, lethal weapon). Betrayed by someone she know, Celaena was sent to Endovier, a death camp, where the average time people survive is two months. A year later, Celaena is still chugging along when the Crown Prince and his Captain of the Guard give her a proposition she can't refuse, a chance at her freedom. She shall compete in a competition to become the King's Champion. She will win (of that, there is no doubt) and after four years championing (is that even a word?) for the King, she will be given her freedom. Celaena agrees, and embarks on a perilous journey.
Celaena is a master at keeping secrets, ones that she even keeps from herself. Secrets she wants never to think of again. Her home, her parents, and her true self.  She tries everything she can to lock those memories away, but some memories won't stay hidden. There is evil in the castle, and it's up the Adarlan's Assassin to do the good thing... and rid of it.
 
Celaena is probably one of my favorite character's I've ever read. She's so complex in her layers, such a contradiction and made more real in her flaws and emotions than any other I've read. Sarah J. Maas truly knew what she was doing writing Celaena, and must have uncanny knowledge of how people's brain think, what makes humans be humans.
 
There was the slightest attempt at a love triangle here, and I say slightest because you could tell romance was definitely on the back burner, here. Chaol, the rugged, capable Captain of the Guard, of which Celaena feels inexplicit feelings for. Prince Dorian, the crown Prince, and a Havillard, one of the name Calaena despises most, yet feels drawn to, nonetheless.
 
I've never read a book quite like Throne of Glass, and now that I've read it a second time, but a year after the first time, I agree even more adamantly.
 
This is how serious I am: I would trade Throne of Glass for a Kristen Ashley book, any day.
Yes. I said it. I know. I might cry, too. Because I never thought the day would come.
 
Truly, if you don't read this book and enjoy it... well, I suppose you know what I'm going to say, now, don't you ;)
 
 
 
XOXO,
Kat
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment