May 04, 2015

Crown of Midnight Review

What did I think...

Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas


 

Description:  

"A line that should never be crossed is about to be breached.
It puts this entire castle in jeopardy—and the life of your friend."

From the throne of glass rules a king with a fist of iron and a soul as black as pitch. Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil.

Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.

Then one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to give up the very thing most precious to her and decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie...and whom she is ultimately willing to fight for.


 

Genre: High fantasy
Series: Throne of Glass
Published on: August 27th, 2013
Pages: 418 pages
Format: ebook- Kindle
Source: Amazon
Average rating: 4.5 stars
My rating: 5 stars


Genre's:

 
 
This is the second time I've read Crown of Midnight, and it was almost as good as the first time, now that that "big twist" has already been revealed. 



In Crown of Midnight, Celaena Sardothien, Adarlan's resident Assassin and King's Champion, is serving the King's wishes, by offing his competition, but in her own way.

After dealing with the evil in the castle with Cain from Throne of Glass, something new and far worse comes to light... the king's plans and Celaena's deepest secrets are revealed... and someone close to her heart leaves Celaena forever, and the True, Darkest part of Celaena Sardothien is revealed. Through saving the kingdom, herself and the people from the King's plans.


 
Celaena Sardothien is probably one of my favorite character's I've ever read. She's so complex in her layers, such a contradiction and made more real in her flaws and emotions than any other I've read. Sarah J. Maas truly knew what she was doing writing Celaena, and must have uncanny knowledge of how people's brain think, what makes humans be humans.


There was the slightest attempt at a love triangle in the first book, Throne of Glass, but here, in Crown of Midnight, and I say slightest because you could tell romance was definitely on the back burner, there. Here, it was a little different (you'll have to read it, hehehe!). Chaol, the rugged, capable Captain of the Guard, of which Celaena feels inexplicit feelings for. Prince Dorian, the Crown Prince, and a Havillard, one of the name Calaena despises most, yet feels drawn to, nonetheless.

 
Did I mention I'm totally Team Chaol... with Dorian as the best friend.
 

I've never read a series quite like Throne of Glass, and now that I'm reading it for a second time, I agree even more adamantly.
 
This is how serious I am: I would trade Throne of Glass/Crown of Midnight/Heir of Fire for a Kristen Ashley book, any day.
Yes. I said it. I know. I might cry, too. Because I never thought the day would come.
 
 
Highly recommended!
 
XOXO,
Kat
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment