May 13, 2015

Lion Heart ARC Review

What did I think of...

Lady Thief by A.C. Gaughen



Description:

The eagerly-awaited conclusion to the Scarlet trilogy delivers another action-packed
and romance-filled adventure.
 
Scarlet has captured the hearts of readers as well as the heart of Robin Hood, and after ceaseless obstacles and countless threats, readers will finally find out the fate of the Lady Thief.

Imprisoned by Prince John for months, Scarlet finds herself a long way from Nottinghamshire. After a daring escape from the Prince's clutches, she learns that King Richard’s life is in jeopardy, and Eleanor of Aquitaine demands a service Scarlet can’t refuse: spy for her and help bring Richard home safe. But fate—and her heart—won’t allow her to stay away from Nottinghamshire for long, and together, Scarlet and Rob must stop Prince John from going through with his dark plans for England. They can not rest until he’s stopped, but will their love be enough to save them once and for all?
 
 

Genre: Historical Romance/ Adventure/ Fairy Tale retelling/ YA
Series: Scarlet
Published on: May 19th, 2015
Pages: 348 pages
Format: Digital Copy- Kindle
Source: NetGalley
Average rating: 4.28 stars
My rating: 2 stars




I first read Scarlet about 6 months to a year ago, and immediately fell in love. But, when I started Lady Thief, I was disappointed, and DNF at 70%. It wasn't bad, it just... stalled for me. Then a better book came along, and I switched. It wasn't so much of a "I'm not reading this anymore" as a, "I'll pick it back up later". When I saw Lion Heart was on NetGalley, I was thrilled! Because I was still in love with the heart of the story, the one in Scarlet, and hoped that Lion Heart would have gained some of that spark... but it didn't, and today, I officially marked this, too, a DNF, albeit reluctantly.
Don't mistake me for saying the book wasn't bad, because it wasn't. The story just, couldn't capture my attention, and couldn't hold me down to the pages like so many others- and the first book- have done.

I was SUPER disappointed when, at the beginning, Scarlet turned into a lady. I don't mean that she was treated as such because her secret was out, I mean this as her thoughts and her actions were all defeated and broken, and as such she was treated like such, let others defend her. There's a difference between being weak from imprisonment, and being broken and dispirited.
This ruined the book for me, and I couldn't get past it.

Some of you might get past it, recognize it as the landmark on the journey that it was, but that person was not me.

XOXO,
Kat



No comments:

Post a Comment