May 13, 2015

World After ARC Review

What did I think...

World After by Susan Ee


 
 
Description:
In this sequel to the bestselling fantasy thriller, Angelfall, the survivors of the angel apocalypse begin to scrape back together what's left of the modern world.

When a group of people capture Penryn's sister Paige, thinking she's a monster, the situation ends in a massacre. Paige disappears. Humans are terrified. Mom is heartbroken.

Penryn drives through the streets of San Francisco looking for Paige. Why are the streets so empty? Where is everybody? Her search leads her into the heart of the angels' secret plans where she catches a glimpse of their motivations, and learns the horrifying extent to which the angels are willing to go.

Meanwhile, Raffe hunts for his wings. Without them, he can't rejoin the angels, can't take his rightful place as one of their leaders. When faced with recapturing his wings or helping Penryn survive, which will he choose?
 
 
 
Genre: Science Fiction
Series: Penryn and the End of Days
Published on: November 21st, 2013
Pages: 438 pages
Format: Digital copy (PDF) - Kindle
Source: NetGalley
Average rating: 4.28 stars
My rating: 4.6 stars




I have to admit, I read World After forever ago (like a couple of weeks) and totally spaced on a review for it, but I'll do the best I can.

This is the second time I've read this book. Once last year from the library, and once now, as an ARC. Backwards, I know.

For my characters, I have a serious thing with names. They really have to fit the character. I almost never read books with "Emma's" or "Sarah's" because those names are very common, much like my own name. Of which I shorted to a rebellious and mysterious "Kat". Yes I am kidding. -ish.
 
Back to the conversation at hand. Raphael is a name I never thought I could get with. Good thing he went by Raffe, because it totally worked for me.
 
Raffe totally unbelievably worked for me. He was perfectly written, full of flaws. At the beginning, haughty and condescending, angry and hurting. Then he got caring, Penryn before himself... and it was really beautiful to watch the transition, watch him fall in love with a Daughter of Man, though.
 
Penryn was my favorite kind of character. She was proud, stubborn and strong, and has a bleeding heart. All she wanted was her sister back, and she was willing to do anything, sacrifice everything to get her back, until she realizes the one person she can't sacrifice is the one she needs to... Raffe.
 
Penryn's mother was a joy to read about. She was completely insane and maniacal. She totally is completely duped in the brain, but was still a joy to read, I enjoyed the hell out of reading about her, even if she was completely fucked in the brain.
 
I was completely hooked by the writing, the characters and the plotline... and I can't wait to read The End of Days .... which came out yesterday !!!

XOXO,
Kat


No comments:

Post a Comment